Sivertson Gallery Sales Associate
Job posted May 12, 2021
Sivertson Gallery is a destination art gallery in Grand Marais, Minnesota, on the shores of Lake Superior. We welcome a new Sales Associate to our team of friendly, smart, fun, diverse, and hard-working staff who delight in selling and serving the art community of Grand Marais and the greater North Shore. Your daily experience will be surrounded by the best art of the region and by art from far north Alaska and Canada. Working with the valued and committed customers of Sivertson Gallery is a privilege and a pleasure. The many visitors to this region along with our local residents make for a great working clientele!
While not at work, you can enjoy the fabulous recreational assets the area is known for: miles and miles of excellent hiking, biking and ski trails; the best downhill ski area in the Midwest, Lutsen Mountains; canoeing, fishing, kayaking, paddle boarding, skating, and swimming in the Boundary Waters Wilderness Areaa (BWCA); or fishing, sailing and swimming in the “big lake” of Lake Superior, the largest freshwater lake in the world. The experience of living in Cook County is first class, one of the safest places in the world, and cozy and friendly. Although the shopping and dining opportunities are limited in this small town, they are some of the best the North Shore has to offer.
Overview of position
Available immediately. Full-time, year-round OR full-time summer. Must be friendly, flexible, available to work weekends and holidays (nights not necessary), and love working in a happening, enthusiastic environment with delightful co workers. $16-$20/hour depending on sales experience and background. Benefits include health insurance stipend, employer-matching simple IRA program, and paid vacation. Start date by June 15, 2021.
Minimum qualifications: High school diploma, valid driver’s license, excellent social skills, good math skills, previous sales experience, and previous knowledge of art and/or art processes preferred. Able to lift reasonable amounts of weight, climb ladders, and stand for up to 8 hours.
Specific job requirements for Sales Associate position
Responsible for making sales. Sales Associates must be:
- Proficient at processing sales in the Point-of-Sale (POS) system (including money handling)
- Knowledgeable of the inventory
- Aware of Sivertson Gallery’s library of information and willingness to do research to enhance the library.
- Willing to attend classes to enhance sales skills.
- Adept at finding the “sweet spot” of a sale by knowing when to close it without over or under selling.
- Able to wrap/package/or bag merchandise in an appropriate manner for safe traveling.
- Able to package for safe and responsible shipping.
Responsible for working with customers in a professional manner. Sales Associates must be:
- Mindful of customers in the store at all times
- Prepared to greet everyone upon entering the store
- Courteous and kind with all customers
- Able to leave personal judgements/attitudes off of the sales floor
- Skillful at developing rapport with customers in order to build relationships over time
- Authentic in their desire to match/guide a customer to the right inventory
- Willing to leave their cell phones off of the sales floor and attend to personal business during personal breaks only
Responsible for maintaining an organized, attractive store. Sales Associates must be:
- Proficient at display, understanding Sivertson Gallery display policy/procedure
- Conscientious of keeping the store clean and neat with all counters cleared/cleaned at the end of the day
- Able to restock inventory after each sale
- Able to assist with inventory management projects as needed
- Able to work in an organized way, keeping projects contained and neat
- Proficient at Opening/Closing procedures
Responsible for maintaining a professional presence. Sales Associates must be:
- Able to manage time well, including being punctual
- Dressed in an appropriate, professional manner
- Aware of and able to abide by all of the policies and procedures in the Policies and Procedures Manual
To apply for Sales Associate position:
To apply for the Sales Associate position, please send a letter of introduction and a resume to Jan Sivertson at firstname.lastname@example.org or to Sivertson Gallery, 14 W Wisconsin St, Grand Marais, MN 55604.
Please, no phone calls or drop ins to the gallery inquiring about the position.